Online gaming is playing video games with friends, or strangers over the internet. Online games have
become very popular these days. Online games can be played on any device from PCs, laptops and
mobile phones to dedicated video game consoles such as PlayStations, Xboxes, and Nintendo
Online gaming provides many benefits. But it also has its own risks. Like developing gaming disorder,
the ability to play and chat online with others around the world can expose children to scamming,
grooming and online bullying. Loot boxes and skin betting have also received widespread attention
for encouraging similar behaviour associated with gambling.
Before getting into the advantages and disadvantages of online gaming lets discuss how online
gaming has evolved over the years.
Evolution of Online Gaming.
A brief history of the online gaming industry. The 1970s saw the beginning of online games with the
creation of text-based adventure games such as Zork.
In the 1980s, networked computer games emerged, which allowed players to compete against each
other in real-time. However, with the advent of the internet in the 1990s, the online gaming industry
observed a boom.
In the 2000s, browser-based games and popular titles like World of Warcraft became more
mainstream. Online gaming became more social, with players forming online communities to
compete and collaborate. At present, online gaming has evolved into a multi-billion-dollar industry
that is growing exponentially.
Types of Online Gaming.
These are some basic types of Online gaming with examples:
- Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOs): Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft.
- Battle Royale Games: Some common battle royale games are PUBG, Fortnite, etc.
- First-Person Shooter Games: Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, etc.
- Casual Games: Candy Crush, Angry Birds, Tetris, Bejewelled, etc.
Advantages of Online Gaming.
- Convenience: One of the main advantages that online gaming has is that they are very
convenient. Players can play them from the comfort of their homes or anywhere they want
they just need a phone or computer and an internet connection.
- Cost-effectiveness: Browser-based online games are very affordable. Some are even free.
This is one of the major advantages that Online Games have over conventional video games.
- Variety: Having a wide variety of games available is a major advantage that online games
possess, which gives gamers various choices to play their favourite game genre.
- Social Interaction: Real-time interaction with co-players is one of the perks that online
gaming offers. Players from different parts of the world get connected to each other and
share their gaming tactics, and personal experiences, make friends and many more.
- Stress relief: Playing online games is one of the best ways to release stress. It is engaging and
helps clear the mind.
Disadvantages of Online Gaming
- Addiction: Online games are addictive in nature This alone is the main disadvantage of
online gaming. Gamers lose the sense of time when they are playing. Addiction is not a good
thing as this leads to stress and depression.
- Loss of Money: Many online games spend money on game purchases. Spending a lot of
money on virtual and non-realistic stuff which has no physical value is a loss. This puts
gamers at a major disadvantage of loss of money.
- Security Risks: One disadvantage that online gamers face is that they are vulnerable to
hacking risks. They are exposed to various malicious links which are used to lure them and
used to get their personal information.
- Violence: It has been reported that children playing violent online games tends to be more
violent. Continuous exposure to violence changes their brain to see violence as a normal
thing. Being violent in real life puts gamers at a disadvantage because violence like in games
is not legal.
- Poor Health: Spending too much time sitting and looking at the screen puts online gamers at
disadvantage as online gaming deteriorates the health of gamers.